Maaike Addicks, MD
- Physician with over 15 years’ experience in Medical Affairs in mid-size and big pharma, in both headquarters and national affiliates, across a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas.
- Ten years of experience in managing Medical Managers, Medical Advisors and MSLs, with both hands-on and strategic experience in Medical Affairs.
- A very effective trainer with a passion for the growing role of Medical Affairs in pharmaceutical markets.
By Attending This Course, You Will
- Understand Medical Affairs’ role along a brand’s life cycle and how MSLs fit into the overall Medical Affairs strategy & organisation.
- Learn the typical strategic decision-making process that determines which MSL tactics will contribute to a pharma company’s success in the market.
- Know how to design a tactical MSL plan based on business needs and the company’s plans & strategies.
- Learn how to effectively manage Key Opinion Leaders.
- Acquire a thorough understanding of the impact and execution of MSL tactics: Advisory Boards, CME, face-to-face discussions, round tables, scientific presentations and studies.
- Be familiar with KPIs and other metrics used by management to assess the MSL function, and know how to use those metrics to demonstrate added value.
- Be able to deal with most common issues during implementation: compliance, off-label use, the collaboration with reps and other colleagues in the field, etc.
- Benefit from interacting with MSLs from other companies by gaining insights and ideas from discussing issues and exchanging experiences and opinions with them.
Why You Should Attend
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) function is relatively new and its importance is rapidly growing throughout the pharma industry. Its impact in the pharmaceutical playing field is potentially huge because MSLs are at the forefront of the customer engagement process, at a very high and scientific level. However, to be impactful and make the difference, MSLs must understand how their role fits into the bigger picture and know how to plan and implement tactics such that they optimally contribute to the success of a pharma company in its therapeutic markets. The successful MSL understands his/her internal and external stakeholders thoroughly, appreciates what drives them and knows how to add value.
The Content: This course not only provides you with the theoretical insights to understand how Medical Affairs challenges impact on the MSL function, it is also very practical and hands-on: it dives deeply into the critical success factors and dos & don’ts of typical MSL tactics, and discusses common issues such as compliance and teamwork. The content equips MSLs with concepts and tools to pro-actively plan the most impactful MSL tactics, to effectively implement them, and to work synergistically within teams.
The Expert: Maaike Addicks is a physician with over 15 years of experience in the field of Medical Affairs, having fulfilled many different roles within Medical Affairs departments, both on a local and international level. As a former leader in the Medical Department, she is very familiar with the expectations and challenges of MSLs, the issues they encounter and how to address them. Maaike is a passionate trainer, an excellent moderator and strongly believes in using interaction to increase knowledge and skills.
The Value Adding Medical Science Liaison course is the only available public training course delivered by Maaike Addicks on this topic.
Welcome & Audience Expectations
The Changing Role of Medical Affairs and Growing Impact of MSLs
The Medical Plan That Determines All Tactics in Medical Affairs
Group Exercise on SWOTs, CSFs and Strategies
Key Opinion Leader Management
MSL Tactics Workshop (1) – The Why, the Success Factors and Issues of:
MSL Tactics Workshop (2) – The Why, the Success Factors and Issues of:
Advisory Board Meetings
Planning MSL Tactics for Optimal Impact
Group Exercise on MSL Tactics Decision Making
The Value of the MSL Role: How to Measure and Showcase Success
How to Work Effectively Within Teams
Maaike is a passionate trainer with a strong preference for interactive learning styles. Her course includes group exercises and plenary discussion sessions which are designed to enable participants to not only apply the theory but also effectively learn from each other.
Real life examples from the Medical Affairs point of view will be used and discussed, and tools will be provided so that delegates can use the acquired new skills and knowledge in their daily job.
One of the most valuable aspects of attending any C.E.L.forpharma course is not only being able to have your specific questions answered by a leading expert, but also having the opportunity to share experiences and have in-depth discussions with your international peers.
|The typical audience size of our courses ranges from 6 to 24 (max) participants.|
Who Should Attend?
This is the perfect course for all new Medical Science Liaisons and those with some years of experience (0-4 yrs).
In addition, this course will benefit Medical Affairs Managers in smaller companies where their role often includes both medical management and MSL tasks.
Finally, MSL Leads and other MA staff might benefit to understand the MSL function and how they can contribute to the success of MSL teams from their perspective.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of past participants who have benefited from attending this course.
|Medical Science Liaison||AbbVie||The Netherlands|
|Medical Science Liaison Manager Neurology||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison||Alexion Pharma||Germany|
|Medical Science Liaison||Daiichi Sankyo||United Kingdom|
|International MSL Associate Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|International MSL Director||Ipsen Pharma||France|
|Medical Science Liaison Thrombosis Benelux||LEO Pharma||Belgium|
|Medical Science Liaison||Medis||Croatia|
|Global MSL Excellence Manager||Merck||Germany|
|Business Operations Lead Oncology EUCAN||MSD||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Novartis||The Netherlands|
|Senior Medical Manager - Insulins||Novo Nordisk||Switzerland|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Medical Science Liaison||Santen||United Kingdom|
|Medical Advisor||Vifor Pharma||Belgium|
Dates & Locations
14-15 June 2018, London
This course takes place at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel which is located on the perimeter of Heathrow Airport, a short taxi or bus journey from the terminal where the Heathrow Express service to Central London is also situated.
Address: Bath Road, Hounslow, TW6 2AQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 88 97 63 63
20-21 September 2018, Zurich
This course takes place at the Hilton Zurich Airport Hotel which is located just five minutes from Zurich Kloten Airport with the complimentary shuttle. Zurich’s vibrant city centre is located only a fifteen minutes’ drive away.
Address: Hohenbuehlstrasse 10, Opfikon-Glattbrugg 8152, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 828 50 50
11-12 December 2018, Brussels
This course takes place at the Courtyard Marriott Brussels Hotel which is located 15 minutes from Brussels National Airport by complimentary hotel shuttle or taxi and 30 minutes by taxi from Brussels South train station (Thalys, TGV, Eurostar).
Address: Avenue des Olympiades 6, 1140 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 337 08 08
Hotel Booking Assistance
Having built a strong relationship with each hotel, C.E.L.forpharma has secured preferential room rates for our delegates who book their accommodation three weeks or more prior to the course. Upon your registration, we will help you make your hotel booking. For any assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Nissen, Programme Coordinator (email@example.com, tel +32 (0)2 709 01 46).
Included in the Registration Fee
- Course Material (Digital & Print Versions)
- Coffee, Tea & Refreshments During the Course
- Lunch During the Course
- A Group Dinner on the First Day
- Certificate of Attendance Signed by the Expert
Team discounts can be offered to 3 or more delegates from the same company. Contact Annelies Swaan, Head of Business Operations, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
How to Register
- Click the "Register Here" button on this page.
- Choose a course date, then fill out your personal details and company / invoicing details.
- Choose to pay via bank transfer / invoice or by credit card.
- Click "Confirm Registration". You will be sent an automatic email confirming your registration followed by a personal email containing a pro-forma invoice and further payment instructions.
For assistance in registering, raising a PO or invoicing, please do not hesitate to contact Britt De Cat.
(email: email@example.com or call: +32 2 709 01 44)
Transfer & Cancellation Policy
- If a registrant cannot attend the scheduled course, he/she can avoid any cancellation charge by sending a suitable replacement participant.
- Alternatively, the registrant can transfer once on a “space available” basis at no extra cost, until 1 week prior to the event, to another course held within one year of the original course date.
- Cancelling 5 weeks or more prior to the course: cancellation fee of €250 per participant.
- Cancelling 4 to 3 weeks prior to the course: 25% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Cancelling 14 to 7 working days prior to the course: 50% of the invoiced registration fee.
- Fewer than 7 working days or if no notification received: registrant liable to pay invoiced registration fee.
- If a registrant postpones his/her participation to a future course, and cancels again, no refund can be claimed for paid registration fees.